- ' If you are first you are first . If you are second you are nothing . '
- To a barber, who in 1968 had asked ' Anything off the top ? ' ' Aye , Everton '
- ' The trouble with referees is that they know the rules , but they do not know the game . '
- To Tommy Smith after he'd turned up for training with a bandaged knee: ' Take that poof bandage off , and what do you mean YOUR knee , it's LIVERPOOL'S knee ! '
- ' A lot of football success is in the mind . You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are . In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside , Liverpool and Liverpool reserves . '
Bill Shankly (1959 - 1974 Liverpool team manager)